Zero Waste Scotland is holding free training events across Scotland in July and August to help retailers understand and implement the carrier bag charge, which will see a minimum 5p charge for all single use bags into force on 20th October.
The first event is being held in Glasgow on 17th July, with a total of 12 taking place across Scotland in July and August. The hour-long evening events will provide an opportunity to get detailed information about how the regulations will work, and ask any questions.
Zero Waste Scotland is supporting Scottish retailers to help them understand their responsibilities to operate the carrier bag charge. The organisation supports the charge as a measure to help reduce the number of bags in circulation, many of which end up as litter, and recently launched the Carrier Bag Commitment, to which retailers who agree to donate the proceeds of the charge to charity can sign up.
Iain Gulland, Director, Zero Waste Scotland, said:
“These training sessions are a valuable opportunity for retailers to get to grips with their legal obligations. Our trainers are experts in the detail and can answer all your questions about the new regulations. Come along and meet us and find out more about how this key piece of environmental legislation will work.”
The training dates are:
• 17th July – Glasgow, Jurys Inn
• 21st July – Perth, Perth Concert hall
• 22nd July – Edinburgh, Jurys Inn
• 23rd July – Dumfries, Cairndale Hotel
• 24th July – Galashiels, Borders College
• 28th July – Glasgow, Jurys Inn
• 29th July – Stirling, Golden Lion Hotel
• 4th August – Aberdeen, Jurys Inn
• 5th August – Inverness, Best Western Inverness Palace Hotel & Spa
• 6th August – Fort William, The Alexandra Hotel
• 11th August – Edinburgh, Jurys Inn
• 12th August – Dundee, Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa
For more details about the events or to book a place, go to: http://www.zerowastescotland.org.uk/content/events-2