Liberty Global plc announced its inclusion in the Dow Jones Sustainability World and North America Indices.
Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI) track the performance of leading companies in terms of their economic, environmental, governance and social performance. Each year, over 3,000 publicly traded companies are invited to participate in this corporate sustainability assessment and Liberty Global’s inclusion is evidence of our continued progress in delivering our Corporate Responsibility (CR) strategy.
Highlights from the year included:
- Publication of our third Corporate Responsibility Report, ‘Empowering a Digital Society’;
- Commitment to improve the energy efficiency of our electricity consumption by 15% every year through 2020 (in kWh/terabyte of data), and to be five times more carbon efficient (in metric tons of CO2e/terabyte of data) by 2020, using 2012 as our base year;
- Refurbishment of 4.3 million set-top boxes and modems in 2013, avoiding 7,200 metric tons of waste that would otherwise have ended up in landfills, resulting in financial savings of $280 million;
- Paving the way for digital jobs by hosting ‘CoderDojo’ workshops for young people to learn to create digital applications and web services, and supporting the further growth of YouRock, a new online employability platform for young people;
- Protecting children online with the launch of a new toolkit for teens called ‘The Web We Want’, developed in partnership with European Schoolnet;
- Improving broadband speeds in nearly all of our markets and supporting “connectivity everywhere” for our broadband subscribers with hotspots, homespots and Community WiFi.
Rick Westerman, head of Liberty’s Corporate Responsibility Committee, commented “We are committed to expanding access to the digital world in all the markets we serve and to do this sustainably, safely and responsibly. Our listing in these well-respected indices recognizes the success we have had in meeting this commitment and is a testament to every employee who has helped us in achieving our goals.”
Further information can be found on the Libertys Corporate Responsibility website.